Thursday, July 31, 2008

Babies and Bikes

This week's been full!

Last weekend I went to our friend's Jan & Shawn's new house for a bbq. I saw some old friends, some little munchkins and had a great time.

This past week, I also had quite a few people tell me I look like I'm starting to show - WOW! I don't quite see it yet, but I sometimes feel like I'm getting a little bigger. I've also had people just reach out and touch my belly. I know they're excited and want to be a part, but it's a bit unnerving. If you see a pregnant woman, please don't touch her belly unless she tells you it's ok.

Baby Holm has also been moving this week. I've been feeling a sort of wave feeling in my lower belly and realized the other day maybe it was the munchkin. I paid a little more attention yesterday and decided it probably was the baby. Today I had a baby appointment and my midwife confirmed it was most likely baby!

Speaking of the baby appointment - it went great. I flew solo today for the first time. I lost another pound - woo hoo! The baby's heart rate was 150 - perfect! And the 1 hour glucose test I took last week was also great!

Looks like everything going great, and I hope the remaining 22 weeks go just as smooth!

And now we come to the bike part of this post.
This weekend is the Pan-Mass Challenge. My brother Tom is riding again and Mom, Bob,Eric and I are volunteering again. This will be Tom's last year to ride. Unfortunately, the PMC asks is riders to raise more and more money, and it's very difficult for a lot of people to raise it each year. Visit pmc.org to learn more about the ride.


WHAT'S BABY HOLM UP TO?
Week 18


Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (
about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

1 comment:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I once wrote a scene in a book where someone patted a pregnant woman's stomach. My production editor, who'd just had twins, told me pregnant women don't like to be touched like that. I took it out. Lesson learned. :)