Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is The Glass Half Full....

...or half empty? I am after all, half way there! Either way, I'll take it!

It's hard to believe that today is the start of the 20th week. It feels like just yesterday we were faced with the word "pregnant" on that little pregnancy stick. But it was 16 weeks ago. How time flies.

I've been feeling pretty well lately. So far so good. I'm trying to savor all the sleep I can get right now since in a few months it'll be hard to sleep at all!

Every one's excited about Megan's arrival in 4 1/2-ish months. Eric and I especially. It's nice to be able to call her by her name rather than "it" or "he/she" or "him/her". I can't wait for her to start really moving and get a small glimpse at her feisty little personality - because you know she'll be feisty. Look who her parents are!

As you're all aware, I'm an overweight gal so seeing a baby-bump will probably take longer than my thinner friends. We have noticed that the top of my belly (just under my check) has gotten bigger, presumably from all of my insides being pushed up do to Megan's need for more room. I hope now that I'm on the downhill side, she'll start to grow more and my belly will get bigger (with baby, not more fat!). As of my last appointment about 2 weeks ago, I had lost 3-4 pounds. I hope I can keep up the small weight loss as things progress.

In non-baby related news: We've only got 17 days left until we set sail for Canada! We're both really looking forward to the time away and to our very first cruise. Tonight we're planning on looking at the excursions to see if anything grabs us.


WHAT'S BABY HOLM UP TO?
Week 20

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

No comments: